Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chile Pepper 10k

My next race is the Chile Pepper 10k Oct. 18. I've been off running for a while now due to an IT band problem. This injury has kept me away from racing Xterra's all year. I have been running consistently now for the last month and it feels great. Averaging about two runs a week, about an hour and a half total. I want to do more but I am afraid to push it to hard, just ease into running. I won't be fast for this race by any means, that's not the point of this race. The speed will be there next year. However, I do want to be competitive. I'm looking for a sub 40 min finish. Judging by last year's results this won't get me on the podium in my age group, but at this point I will feel great with a 40 minute time.

This evening I went on a 30 minute run through the neighborhood. I kept the pace slow trying to run mostly on grass. I felt great, it was one of those runs I didn't want to end. I felt like I could of gone on for another hour, no pain. I decided this is a good sign and not to stress my body so I bagged the run at 30 minutes. I can't wait till long runs are the norm.

This is probably the best news of all. Trevor Glavin will be my coach for the remainder of this year and next. I am super stoked about this. TG is an outstanding athelete that has reached racing milestones I hope to achieve. I also like his training philosphy. We are just getting started, more on coaching as it develops.

No comments: