Saturday, October 11, 2008

Two Turtles Race Report

The first race of the four race series was this morning at the Two Turtles trail at Lake Fayetteville. All these races will be around nine miles of varying terrain, today was about 70% dirt and 30% paved trail. I don't know if I was just pumped for my first race in a while, but during my warmup as I was easy jogging my heart rate was up to 161. WTF? I tried not to let it bother me, just chalked it up to pre-race jitters. The race was small, I don't know yet how many entered.

I did notice a couple former Razorback XC runners at the start, so there were definitely some fast runners on hand. Started the race in a large field that funneled the racers onto a paved trail. The paved trail lasted for about a mile and a half, then it was onto the dirt trail. I felt great through the first 6 miles, I started to tire about then. I didn't bring any calories or water with me, i feel like I could have used some calories sometime around mile 6 or 7. At mile seven I also started to feel a tweak in my left knee, not really the same location as my IT band pain but really close. The last couple of miles were at a very slow pace, got passed by four people. Finished the race 1.14, not great but not terrible.

My left knee still has a dull ache. I left the race shortly after I finished and went straight to the pool for a super mellow swim. When I got home, I stretched a bit and took an ice bath. Keeping my fingers crossed that all will be better tomorrow. Gonna relax, drink a couple beers, and watch some college football. Hope the Hogs can get a W, we need one.

No comments: