Monday, October 20, 2008

Tires

This is probably a post that every cyclist/blogger has done or will do. Tires. I've always been a geek when it comes to bike shoes. The other day I tried to recount all the bike tires I have ever used and have come up with a pretty good list.

Onza Rip
Onza Rail
Panaracer Smoke
Panaracer Dart
Panaracer Smoke(White)
IRC Mythos
Continental SS(loved these tires while in north LA)
Specialized Roll X
Tioga Blue Dragon
Specialized Roll X Pro
Geax Blade 200
Kenda Nevegal
Maxxis Ranchero
Maxxis Larssen 2.0 tubeless
Continental Explorer

I'm sure I have forgotten a few tires, these are the ones I can remember.

My point is that I think tires are an extremely important part of the whole mountain biking experience and they can make the difference between an outstanding experience and a truly suck time on the mtb.

Of all those tires listed above, only a few I can endorse as working here in NWA. The Nevegals are great tires for NWA, they work in all conditions. The only downfall is that they are sloooow. Not for racing, great for training just not for racing. The second tire I would recomend for NWA is the Maxxis Ranchero. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical when this tire was suggested by a local bike shop. I bought the tire, used it, it rocked. Hooked up well on climbs and descents, my only complain is that the tire failed with a cut sidewall(within 2 months). Still a great tire. The final tire I want to sing praises to is the Maxxis Larssen. So far this has been the most stable tire I have ridden. It's predictable and supple, I love the tire front and rear.

There you have it. A tire review from a blogger, how unique. Tires are hard to quantify, there are so many different terrains and every tire behaves differently. The tires I have mentioned work great here in NWA

No comments: