Sunday, December 28, 2008

Back Home

I'm back home now from visiting family, to much food and to little activity. I was able to get out on a few hikes, two "bushwacks" and one trip up Roundtop Mountain. My camera went dead half way through the trip so I wasn't able to get many pictures. Roundtop was awesome. I hiked this trail last spring with my sister when the trees were all leafed out. The trail is a totally different expierence during leaf off. The trail follows a bluff line, you hike up to it then follow at the base. Incredible views of 75 vertical feet of bluffline. Then the trail takes you on top of the bluff. I wish I had pictures, maybe my Dad will send me a few. The trail tops out at 2050 feet, storms were moving into the area so the cloud ceiling was about 1950. It was odd walking into the clouds, kind of like fog but the wind was blowing the clouds around you.

I got some really thoughtful presents, my family rocks. My aunt Judy saw the post about my Snappy Cap getting chewed and contacted Susan to make me another one. Thanks Judy, awesome gift. My Grandma also came through with a much needed gift and my parents hooked me up with a planter, can't describe it in words, only a pic will do it justice.
I love it. This spring, an asparagus fern is getting planted for his hair. Kind of looks like Side Show Bob. Not in the picture is a bicycle planter my Mom got me for my birthday some years ago. I love to garden/landscape and I am stoked to have a house this year where I can do those activities. Large veggie garden is in the works for 2009.

Today I got out for a two hour road ride on the mountain bike. Temps were really not bad,48 deg., I was in shorts, two jerseys and arm warmers. I was a little under dressed as I started to get uncomfortably cold as the sun began to set about 4p. A big weekend coming up, my first mountain bike race of the year! This was a spur of the moment type of decision. A buddy of mine wanted to race and is willing to drive, also the trail is about 45 minutes from my parents home. How could I say no. Should be interesting, I'm not exactly in the best shape right now. Oh well, I'm just going to make it a spirited group ride.

No comments: