Sunday, August 10, 2008

Rainy Weekend= Good Riding?

I think it rained more on Saturday and Sunday than it has in the last month. All the rain usually leads to no riding but I timed my rides this weekend just right.

Saturday. Had to take the dog to the vet so I missed an early morning ride with my friend Dave. Smuckers had Conjunctivitis, got her some drops and was back at the house at 1030. Got my gear together, loaded the bike and was on the road to Hobbs State Park. This is where Dave and I were going to ride, he still went and I was hoping by chance I might run in to him. Temps were awesome, around 74 degrees and overcast. I was stoked to rip some prime singletrack. Got in a 20 mile loop in just over 2 hours. Good thing I stopped then because as I was loading the bike back on the car, the rain started to fall, and fall, fall some more, and finally it fell. It freakin rained the rest of the day and night.

Sunday. This was supposed to be a road ride with the Arsaga's group. Mother Nature wasn't going to let that happen. More Rain. I'm not complaining, we needed the rain. So Sunday morning had me hanging out with the dogs watching the rain fall. This went on till about 1pm, the rain stopped, the radar was clear-I started to kit up. Finally about 3 the roads were drying up and the radar showed no rain around. Time to ride. The plan for the day was a 55 mile effort at an easy pace. Felt great up to about mile 30, about then is when I started to notice the wind. It was in my face! That's ok, I'll turn soon and it won't be against me. Wrong, this was one of those rides that the wind is always against you. It gets better. At about mile 40 I noticed some dark, low clouds ahead. Surely not. About a mile later the rain begins, a heavy rain. I almost canned the trip, shy of my 55 miles, but decided to tough it out. It was actually fun riding in the rain. Ended up at 3hr 27min elapsed time, a break at a gas station to refill bottles. Great ride.

Lots of rain plus lots of riding, it was a good weekend. Sorry no current pictures, threat of rain kept the camera away. Busy training week ahead!

No comments: