Sunday, January 11, 2009

Recovery

This past week I posted the lowest training volume I can recall. I logged 6 hours on the bike, no running, no swimming, and only two short dog walks(sorry Smuckers). That's it. I felt like I was behind the eight ball all week after getting in late Sunday/early Monday from the race in Shreveport. I really didn't sleep that night, I'm not sure why, my mind and body just wouldn't settle down. I was zombie like the next day at work. Next time I will schedule a vacation day for the day after a race. I did manage to commute to work everyday last week with some extended trips on the way home, no intensity.

I had big plans for this weekend, a long slow mtb ride at Lake Sequoyah to scout a route for the FTS group ride that will start next spring. I woke on Saturday morning to 30 degrees and a strong north wind, I cracked. Just had no motivation to get out and ride. My body still felt a little fatigued, so I decided to just rest. I ran a couple errands and cooked a good dinner, other than those two things I did pretty much nothing. I did take a nap, that's something, right? I guess I just needed the day to fully recover

Today I woke up feeling great. I had two things to accomplish today, ride my mountain bike for at least 2 hours and get my dog on a long hike. The ride came first, I got to Hobb's at 1030 and it was cold but I wasn't going to let that stop me. When I left my house it was 25 with a wind chill of 17, brrr! I was dressed appropriately with only my toes being uncomfortable by the end of the ride. Hammered out two large loops of 10 miles a piece with a ride time of 2 hours feeling really good. Next came the dog, I took Smuckers and Randi out to the trail and let them loose for about 1.5 hrs.

After the hike, my legs were feeling a little heavy so I went home and broke out the new recovery aid. I have to say I am impressed so far. About ten minutes with the Stick and then 30 minutes stretching have my legs feeling snappy. I was surprised when I worked on my calves, I found several spots in both calves that needed much attention. Also, my new hydration pack worked well. I didn't notice it at all and that's a good thing.

Time to get ready for the work week. Here are a few pics of the trail at Hobb's, sweet singletrack.

2 comments:

jameson said...

don't underestimate the power of the stick!!! One best things I have ever bought... try it in the dry sauna. it will change your life.

igotem ____________ Kevin Cox said...

Thanks, I've been looking for a sauna. Seems like a great activity post workout.