Monday, January 26, 2009

Icy Ride Home

Don't have a lot to post at the time. Had a decent week of training last week, weather has been playing havoc with my schedule. Ended up with 8 hours on the bike, 2 hours running, and 2 hrs in the gym. Still not what I had planned. This week is shaping up just like last week as I had to skip my 2hr MTB ride today due to rain/freezing rain. I was at work this morning praying for snow so I could ride this afternoon, no good, just soggy rain.

During my ride home from work today I said hello to the pavement in the most personable way possible. It was about 28 degrees and raining, the bike trail was rideable, just wet. I did notice that the trees, bushes and grass were showing the signs of freezing rain, but it never occurred to me to check my speed heading into the first bridge. Minor oversight, as soon as my front wheel hit the ice covered bridge, I was on the ground and my bike skidding ahead, nearly traveling the entire length of the bridge. No serious injuries, thankfully, just maybe a bruised hip. Lesson learned, bridges walked thereafter. Upon returning home, a layer of thin ice covering my entire body had me shedding clothes immediately post commute and dreaming of warm Spring days.

Added another race to my schedule, the Spa City Du. I'm really excited about this race, been wanting to participate for a couple of years but it never has worked out. This year I am putting it as a priority race and I will make the start line.

As I type, freezing rain continues, I hope power doesn't go out.

1 comment:

Jackelope said...

Dude, if you rode to work today you are seriously hardcore!