Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Beyond Saturated

Today marks the seventh day in a row we have had measurable rain and plainly put I am sick of it. The sun peaked out for about two hours today, long enough to bring on some thunderstorms just a few hours later. This weather is killing me, my brand new mountain bike hasn't been ridden off road as much as I would like.
The good news is that I have been logging some solid run time in the last week and a half. My run sessions have been kept on the short side, 35-50 minute range. This seems best for me, longer runs at this point seem to take to long to recover from. I believe that was part of my problem last year, I always wanted to go for long runs at the wrong time and I ended up injured. This year, quality not quantity.
Sunday I woke up to what I thought was just a cloudy, overcast sky until I got outside to find a heavy mist/light rain combo falling. Crap! I thought to myself, I have all day, I'll wait it out, no way this keeps up all day. That was at 8a, fast forward to 5p, same exact conditions. At that point, I was done with sitting indoors on my only day off. So, I kitted up and headed out in the rain. Three hours in the rain, on a mountain bike, on the road is not my ideal Sunday ride, but you take what you are given. I needed some quality time on the bike and I was going to get it anyway I could. Most of the ride was urban, I'm sure people were wondering wtf? is this guy doing out in these conditions. I like to think that maybe I just might motivate someone out there to get out and exercise.
The new bike is awesome, I love it. Talked with the good people at Avid and they are sending me a set of Juicy 7's to replace the ill Juicy 5's. Avid's customer service rocks, very good support for their products. Also, I have a set of Ergon GX2 grips that should arrive late this week. They can't come soon enough. The regular grips that came on the Stumpy are killing my hands on longer rides. Ergon grips really are worth the money, you can't put a price on being comfortable. One more addition, a Thomson 410mm seatpost. I have the og Specialized seatpost maxxed and I need an additional 3cm of height to achieve optimum leg extension. I really wasn't happy about shelling out 55 bucks for a new sp for just over an inch, but the fit will be just right. I'll be able to get the nice saddle to stem drop that is sometimes elusive with 29ers. I'll post a pic when I get all the new bits installed.
Hope it's drier where you are. Congrats goes to my Mom and her Airline High School tennis team for a job well done at state. Great way to go out!

2 comments:

Jackelope said...

Dude, I am soooo tired of rain.

igotem ____________ Kevin Cox said...

I know it, forecast for the next week doesn't look good either. I'll be out on the road on Sunday, if you are not to busy with MD, hit me up for a ride.