Sunday, April 26, 2009

First Impressions of the New Bike

I've gotten three solid rides in on the new Stumpy and I have to say that the bike has performed well. I am becoming a fan of the 29er wheels, the most positive standout feature is that I don't get "hung up" in technical rock gardens. The larger tires just seem to float over obstacles as long as I have the strength to keep them rolling. Another positive is obstacles such as logs and rocks just seem smaller now, not that I am cleaning sections I haven't before but now I have the confidence to approach and clear those obstacles at a higher velocity. I thought tight switchbacks would be a problem with the larger wheels, not yet. I cleared all the switchbacks on my local trail with ease and a couple technical spots I consistently had problems riding w/o dabbing on my Scalpel, I crossed without putting a foot down.
Now for the things that I disliked about the new rig. Numero Uno was and still is the brakes. They are mushy, long travel before pad engagement, and the rear howls like a banshee. Gonna do some work on the rear brake tonight to see if I can get rid of the terrible noise. A new set of XT's may be in my future shortly. Second was the technical climbing, or more specifically getting back up to speed after a technical section on a climb. The bike just felt a little slow rolling after a short technical bend in the trail. Nothing major, the benefits of the big wheels far outweigh this small grievance.
Bottom line is that I am really pleased with the bike. It actually rides very similar to my old Scalpel. However, this bike fits me correctly and is a better climber. I'll have more thoughts on the ride as I get more ride time logged.

No comments: